Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Guest Post and Interview: Kelvin O'Ralph

AMATEUR MISTAKES


The number one mistakes new writers have is the problem of "Profound Knowledge of the world of Writing". They seem to overlook the intrinsic details and jump into the cons of the publishing industry. You see, most new writers are so eager to get their work into print and they fall into the usual amateur pitfalls. I am an example of these people. I wanted my first project into print and I went through the "Self-publishing" root, and I regretted bitterly. Not that self-publishing is bad, just that I wasn't prepared for it.
My message to all new writers is that you should research extensively about the writing world. The different route of publishing, and which one suits you best. Also, before sending an "Query Letters" to literary agents, I'd advise that both your book and your letter is in perfect shape, or at least close to perfection. And if you want to self-publish, make sure you get a professional editor to take a look at your book, because you'll need an extra pair of experienced eyes. Trust me, you'd find things a bit easier once you know what you're dealing with. However, writing isn't easy, that's why it's a career. Without, determination and perseverance, one can't make it in this industry.

Thanks Kelvin for the peek and advice into getting published! Now on to our brief interview:

Where did the idea for LS: the beginning come from?
Hmm, I usually talk long walks to college, and one day I thought of about the twilight saga, and decided to write a Fantasy/Romance book from a male's perspective.

What challenges did you come across when writing this book?
It was quite hard learning to write in American English, while I live here in England. That was a bit challenging, and that's the main reason why the setting is in a fictional town in the states. However, I did my research on the setting, which helped me tremendously.

What was the easiest part to write?
The middle chapters were quite less difficult to write, because the story kept flowing. The hardest bit was the first chapter. I have written close to twenty-five versions of the first chapter.

Do you identify with any of your characters? If so which ones and why?
I'm a bit similar to one of the MCs, Stephen Wilson. We love treating ladies with respect. To be honest, Stephen is the kind of person I want to be :)

What's next up for you once LS is published?
After this is book is being published, I would be looking forward to publish the sequel to the novel, and marketing both books online and otherwise.

What is(are) your favorite:
Color
Yellow and Black

Music
All genres

Book/Author
Harry Potter Series by J. K. Rowling
Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer
The Vampire Diaries Series by L. J. Smith
Meant to be by Tiffany King(Indie Author)


Food
Chinese food

Saying/Expression
I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.
                                                                Sir Isaac Newton



Any final thoughts or info that you would like to share with the readers?
To read know more about me and my books, visit my blog at http://icire.blogspot.com


Thanks so much for your time Kelvin!  I know I enjoyed reading your book!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the interview Heather, and the book review

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...