Saturday, July 2, 2011

Interview with J.O. Jones



Thanks J.O. for allowing me to read The Septavalent Stone and for doing a guest post/interview!  If you haven't read my review you can go HERE to check it out! I will let you start first J.O.


The Septavalent Stone is a young adult novel set in two countries, Nigeria and Ukraine. It's about a boy called Andrew, who has a mother who is paranoid about almost everything including her brother Uncle Jeffery, and who is also not as normal as other mothers are. He gains admission into a medical school in Ukraine but on getting there, he discovers it's not just a medical school, it's actually a medico-magical school where all sorts of creatures are treated, and where ghosts are kept dead and unhealthily healthy. As the story unfolds, Andrew discovers new secrets about his family and himself, he also discovers a cousin he never knew existed, and realizes that there is more to his mother's lies and paranoia than meets the eyes. 


Where did the idea for The Septavalent Stone come from?
Initially the book was an escape for me after a friend of mine really did something horrible to me. It was like a diary or something, then somehow, as I realized that it was possible to get something published, I began to carve a story out of the journal I was keeping. As I got over the painful incident, the story began to take another direction till it finally reached a point where I gave it its name, THE SEPTAVALENT STONE. I think the fact that I was studying medicine and I was around specimens a lot, contributed to the story.


What challenges did you come across when writing the book?
The challenges, hmm. Well the challenges were mostly getting dibs on using the computer to type since it is only one computer in the house and I live with two other roommates. Another challenge was deciding what to put and remove and I think that's the problem with knowing too much about your characters and story. 


What was the easiest part to write?
I can't say any of the chapters were easy to write, a lot I wrote four times, some I wrote five,and a few I had to edit like hell. What I would say however is that I enjoyed writing these following chapters the most, A HUMBLED ELDER, THE THREE FRIENDS, and THE BROKEN DOOR ROOM. 


Do you identify with any of your characters?
No I don't identify with any of them, but you might suspect that the character with a hill top afro is me because I am keeping one, but no. I do not identify with any of them, I think it is kind of unhealthy because I might be biased, for example I would like a character I identify with to have twenty seven sets of abs, a pair of shiny and razor sharp wings, and a face that make both women and men drool, and you can see how physically inaccurate that is, except you go to Andrew's school then a few of the final year surgeons could fix you up with that.


What is next up for you?
I have another book which I might go back to, about an African superstitious belief. The story is set in another exotic country (which I might change). Right now I can't say more, anything can happen. 


Your Favorites:
Color?
My favorite color is Black


Music?
I love Lil Wayne, Beyonce, Lily Allen and of course Chris Brown cos he rocks. 


Author/book?
Favorite author: Chimaamanda Adichie
Favourite Book: Half Of a Yellow sun. 


Food?
An African delicacy called Eba and Ogbono soup, you can find this on youtube just search for African okra soup. It's really tasty. 


Anything else you would like to share about yourself?
My Hobby: I am a really good cook when I am not writing. 
Something about me I hate: I care too much, wish I was more carefree. 
Movies. Pirates of the carribean 4: The water scene freaked me out


How can people contact you?
Talk to me on Twitter @jacobolisajones 
Talk to me on Facebook: J.O Jones fan page 
Visit my blog: http://theseven-piecestone.blogspot.com 


Any final thoughts you would like to share?
No matter how many bad things people say about you or your work, all it takes to make those thousand bad things right is that one person that truly and genuinely loves you, your work or whatever, and truly appreciates it.


Thanks again for everything J.O.!!  I know I enjoyed the book and encourage you to check it out!!

2 comments:

  1. I wish you well with all your endeavors J.J. You are awesome! ^_^

    And I have tasted Okra Soup--it's nasty, dude! >_<

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firs of all, thanks Heather for this awesome opportunity, it means more than you'll ever think.
    @T.D probably it's nasty cos i wasn't the one who made it,lol. Thanks again heather

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...