Saturday, July 9, 2011

Tales of Aradia: The Last Witch #1 L. A. Jones


I enjoyed this book, overall.  Aradia is entertaining to me...she is a teenager and has all the sass and fire that comes with it.  She also stands by what she feels is right.  She does make mistakes, but seriously what teenager doesn't make mistakes.  Obviously she has special powers, but it is something she always knew about so it wasn't like it appeared out of nowhere.  She also had learned a few lessons the hard way about her powers, however it had taught her to control them.  She is a great character, and her relationship with the other characters are great as well.

The story line is great, I love that Aradia doesn't really know what she is and slowly finds out about the vampires, werewolves, and fae slowly..after all it would be too much of a shock to find out about all of them at once.  She does notice somethings but when it all comes together she isn't totally freaked out.  Although considering she knows she isn't normal, her reactions are probably more appropriate than what a non-paranormal person should be.

With that being said there is a point when it became a little too much like Twilight, romance wise.  Jones makes a joke out of it, but that is when it became painfully obvious and it detracted from the story a bit for me.  I think if she didn't joke about it I probably would have never noticed it.   Don't get me wrong I don't hate Twilight, but I didn't want to see parallels to it.  However the story does redeem itself and my disappointment didn't last as long as it could have.

This is the first book in a series, and it does end on a cliffhanger to get the readers looking forward to the next one(s).  Overall I give this my Pretty Good rating.

 


2 comments:

  1. I have the Kindle edition of this one, so I'm glad to hear that it redeemed itself! I don't know when I'll get to it, but I will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah plus there is two more books that I know of, so it has more possibilities!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...