Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Betrothal: Or How I Saved Alan Edwards From 40 Years of Hell by Richard Raley

 Blurb from the author:  
One night, Our Hero is huddled over his keyboard when he receives a phone call from his best friend Alan Edwards. Alan has spent the last two years doing missionary work in Chile and only just got back to the States. He’s got some great news. Alan’s getting married…in a week…to a girl he’s never met. You’ll be the Best Man, won’t you, buddy?

Our Hero agrees, but is unsure how this whole betrothal happened. Something smells fishy and he plans to get to the bottom of it, even if it means breaking up the wedding, breaking the heart of the only girl he's liked in years, or the bride breaking one of his bones.

Novel might include, but in no way legally binded to include: Dolphins, Grins, Exploding Cushions, Airplanes, Hot Pink, Polar Bears, Mormon Root Drink, Baby Blue, THE PLAN, Almost Redheads, Peter and Paul, Footnotes, Killer Fish, Half-British Scum, Crazy Arch-Burgers, Brutus, Lucky Bleeps, Hippos, and the Tank


So the Richard Raley had contacted me to do a review for his book, and based on the synopsis above I was intrigued.  I love comedy and his blurb definitely caught my attention.

OMG!!!  Seriously this was a much needed read!  I have never cracked up from a book so much!  I was hooked from the first chapter and the rest of the book just continued to reel me in!  I mean how can you not love footnotes, and FYI these footnotes are not your average foot notes which adds to the book!  

Also the bleeps, gotta love the bleeps! I was pleasantly surprised by the self censoring the book had!  It was a nice change of pace from reading the curses, which can get pretty out of hand in some books.  Raley definitely scores points for thinking outside of the box on this one!

Then you have the characters that just adds to all the fun!  Their personalities are quite entertaining when mixed with each other!  Some instantly hate each other, some get along, and some are just plain sweet.  There is a bit of betrayal and some romance too!  So as you can see there is a lot that can and does happen in the story.  

The hero is a sarcastic geek, that makes fun of everything(including himself!).  So not your typical knight in shinning armor, but this book is definitely not typical(note the bleeps and footnotes).  He is loyal to his friend Alan, even if it doesn't seem very supporting(after all he is trying to break the wedding up.).  The story is from his point of view, but he is telling it to you after it happened which allows room for more snarky comments(which is just up my alley in humor!).

There were just a few points that certain sentences didn't make sense or a misspelling that was distracting...but I took as part of the charm of the book.  It wasn't something I got hung up on and caused me to not love the book.

I guess I should stop here before I give anything important away,  just go read the book because honestly you really don't want to miss out!  It is worth it!!




2 comments:

  1. The new and improved 2012 edition has fixes for the majority of the typos/brain-farts in the edition you read. Glad you enjoyed the footnotes, people that skip them really miss out on the funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear about the improved 2012 edition...however if you get it in print, let me know! I like ebooks but very fond of printed books!

      Honestly I almosted missed the footnotes too! I didn't notice the first couple, and when I realized they were there I had to go back and read them! Very creative!!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...