Sunday, April 29, 2012

Weighing in on Plagiarism

I am sorry to those who are exhausted by the topic, but I felt that I had to weigh in on the issue.  I have read several blogs lately about The Story Siren drama.  I have decided not to ignore it, even though it doesn't affect me at all.  I never followed her blog or participated in the meme's, even though a few of my close friends did.  Because of my full time job I didn't even get a full realization what was going on until I seen several tweets that clued me in that something was up.  So I asked Ems from In Which Ems Reviews Books what was going on and she filled me in.  However I had already read the post from Beautifully Invisible which had been retweeted by someone(I am sorry but I can't remember who it was).  I didn't put the tweets together since Beautifully Invisible had kept the blogger's idenitity underwraps, which honestly I admire as it gives the person a chance to redeem themselves.  Ems had told me that it was The Story Siren, so I immediately began looking at other posts to figure out all that had happened.

I am sadden by the fact that Kristi decided to plagiarized.  I do not know her, but she was a big player in the book blogging world.  It seemed to me she was someone to aspire to be like and because of her actions(a big mistake on her part) she is the one to avoid.  It is always hard to see someone take that kind of fall, even for someone not close in to the situation.

However I believe PLAGIARISM IS WRONG!  IT IS STEALING!  I know in school many teachers would tell their students to credit their sources and not plagiarize.  These teachers also google certain phrases to check out their students papers.  We are taught this as soon as we write our first research paper, so there is no mistaking it.

As a blogging community, and I am talking about everyone who blogs regardless of content, we need to stop plagiarizing.  This is a problem as I have seen several people discussing, and of course being upset by it.  We all work hard to make our blogs original, put hard work into our post, and are proud of our work.  Stealing someone else's hard work is not right, you will get caught no matter how big or small you are. 

I wanted to make my stance known as I do not want anyone to think that by not responding to the train wreck this has become, I am ok with what happened...I am not nor will I ever be.

2 comments:

  1. I had not heard about this, but I don't follow the blog in question... although I think I may have visited it through another blog's link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have done the same thing a few times. I noticed a few posts here and there the last few days and I think the issue is dying down some. Most of my info came through twitter, so I was able to get links to several posts.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...