Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Adventures of Benjamin Skyhammer by Nicole Sheldrake


Nicole Sheldrake had approached me to read and review her book.  It caught my attention since it came from a perspective of someone that had no magic.  It was more of an adventure book, and I hadn't read one in a while, so I agreed.

The book is short and the 1st in a series.  I must say that even though the book is short it took me a while to get through it, or at least it seems that way.  It wasn't a book that kept me on the edge of my seat and made me want to pick it up again as soon as I could.  I think some of it has to do with the pace.  When the plot became more action involved the book moved pretty well, however when the main character Benjamin was being introspective the pace really slowed down for me.   

 I also felt like the romance that happens sort of came out of thin air and seemed sort of thrown in.  I do think Sheldrake tried to set it up some.  I just felt like it sort of came out of left field, and wasn't totally needed at this point in time.  After all we can feel similar feelings towards close friends.

I do like the fact that we don't know Higgins' first name, and the guesses thrown in from time to time.  I also enjoyed the action and adventure side of the story.  Sheldrake also created different types of lands and characters for each area that typically inhabits it.  It was very creative in my mind.

Overall I can't say that I liked or didn't like the book.  This is one I will have to think about more!

2 comments:

  1. I need your question mark smiley icon. I've read a few books lately that have left me on the fence as to whether I liked it or not.

    Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I am glad you liked the smiley icon, there are just some that just may not hit you right at the moment but later are just really good.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...