Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder



Just in case you haven't figured it out yet, I am a big fan of Maria Snyder's.  I love her writing style and the way the characters are complex and not flat.  So of course when I had heard about this book I instantly wanted to read it, well before it was published!  When I read the first chapter from Maria's newsletter, I was hooked and couldn't wait to get my hands on a copy.  So I was excited to say the least about reading this one.  Now the only question remained would this book live up to the excitement that I have built up...ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!

The story line is fantastic.  I have read about the plague, even done a research paper on some of the "remedies" people were trying at the time.  So of course the plague had me interested.  However the plague only plays a small part, although an important part, in the story line.  This didn't upset me in the least, since the story takes place after the plague has taken its course.  There are elements that take you by surprise, even up until the end.  I am very glad that with this being the first book in a series, it doesn't end with a major cliffhanger.  After all we have to wait until next year for the sequel, and I hate when I have to wait a long time after a major cliffhanger!

The characters are like her other characters, in her other series.  At first I was a bit disappointed in the fact that I could take certain characters and place them right in the story.  I only have myself to blame for this because I had recently partially read some of her other books, so they were fresh in my mind.  I did find plenty of differences which allowed me to continue to enjoy the book.

I totally enjoyed this book, and recommend it to anyone!  Of course I believe this about any of the other books by Maria too!






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...