Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Florence by Ciye Cho

FlorenceFrom Goodreads(image and blurb):
Seventeen-year-old Florence Waverley is out of her depth. Literally. Kidnapped and taken below the waves to the mer world of Niemela, she is the ultimate gift for merman Prince Kiren: a human familiar tied to his side. But nothing is what it seems amid the beauty and danger of a dark ocean. Every Niemelan has a role to play, from the mermaids who weave towers out of kelp to the warriors who fight sea monsters. But in trying to survive, Florence will end up in the middle of a war between the mer and the Darkness. A conflict that will push her between two brothers: Kiren, the charmer inexplicably drawn to both her and the monsters; and Rolan, the loner who has been pushing her away since the day they met. But in order to take a stand--and find out where she belongs--Florence will have to risk it all: her life, her heart... and her very soul.

I was approached by Ciye Cho to read and review Florence.  It sounded very interesting, but I was worried about giving it a fair review since I was reading another mermaid story.  However this one is different from the other ones I had read, so I didn't constantly compare the two.

Florence is quite an interesting character.  She tries to hide from the world and watches what goes on around her.  However as the story progresses she does change and as the blurb mentions find where she belongs.  To me she embodies many typical teenagers in this way, including me when I was that age.  So she is was someone I could relate to.

The story is told from different perspectives, which allows the reader to know a bit more about what is going on in Niemela.  It is very easily distinguished between who is telling the story when, so it wasn't very confusing to me.  I will say that at first the story seemed to move a bit slow, but it did pick up quickly and held my attention through out the story.

Overall I enjoyed the book and think it is another great summer read!  So I give this one my Excellent rating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...