Monday, February 17, 2014

Rory by Ciye Cho

From ciyecho.com:

Far beyond heaven, earth and hell is a city known as Palladino, a place ruled by ghosts and filled with demons, magic, and all sorts of darkly beautiful things. A city where no one can ever escape.

Eighteen-year-old Rory is a cake decorator who makes stunning confections. But no amount of frosting or miracles can save her when a demon kidnaps her—and carries her to Palladino. Here, Rory ends up in a deadly charm school where young women are forced to become companions for the Ghost Lords. And for her to survive, Rory must become everything that she isn’t: graceful, elegant... and perfect.

But nothing is what it seems in Palladino. Not the magic. Not the ghosts. And definitely not Martin Marius, the bizarre Ghost Lord-slash-inventor who is drawn to Rory. For amid a thousand machines and a hundred cats, Martin holds a secret that could change everything. A secret that could either free Rory... or destroy her. .

So Ciye Cho had asked me to read and review Rory after I had finished Luminaire.  I was intrigued since the ghostly plane was something new for me, so it drew me in. I enjoyed the book and so far Ciye Cho has not let me down in the enjoyment of his books.

Right from the beginning the story caught my attention because Rory is concerned about something in the dark/night.  You aren't told right away what is making her nervous, plus she is focused on her mom(which the flashbacks also helped to keep my attention).  The story lines moves pretty well.  There are a few areas I thought seemed to drag a bit but honestly it didn't last very long either.

Palladino is a unique place...it almost reminds me of a dark Oz.  The buildings and hot air balloons just help to create the ghostly city.  Then you have the Ghost Lords that Rory meets, who are very complicated.  For instance Martin Marius is a bit off standish and a bit mysterious, however we get to see a softer side.

Rory is a great character.  You can see her struggle with wanting to be accepted but at the same time wants to rebel.  The duality is very identifiable for me, and draws me to like her more as a character.  She does what she feels is right and at the same time it does cause issues.

The only thing that gives me pause is the romance that begins between Rory and Martin.  And honestly I guess it is because it is ghost which equals a dead guy...so my mind just goes "ummmmmmm".  However I have read enough paranormal books that I shouldn't be too surprised or feel that it totally out of the realm and unacceptable.  So right now I have mixed feelings about it, but that is just me.

Otherwise I really did enjoy the book and since it ended on a cliff hanger I want to know what happens next!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...