Wednesday, January 21, 2015

The Universe Doesn't Do Second Chances by Sean-Paul Thomas

From Amazon.com (image and blurb): Set in Edinburgh in early 2000 and Cyprus in the late eighties, a lonely man approaching forty and living an average life of missed opportunities and regrets especially regarding the opposite sex, dies in a plane crash. When he awakens in a subdued and bizarre subconscious state, he is granted by the powers that be a second chance to spend one final day each with the two girls in his life who made the biggest impact on his heart. Two girls from two different time eras whom our hero never had the courage nor conviction to even strike up a simple conversation with at the time of meeting them.
The Universe Doesn't Do Second Chances is a story about passion, romance, adventure, coming of age and second chances. What would you do differently if given the impossible second chance at another shot at true love? And then, at the bitter sweet end, were left to make one last and final heartbreaking decision.

Sean-Paul Thomas had asked me to review The Universe Doesn't Do Second Chances, I thought the premise was quite interesting and agreed.  It was definitely an interesting read and makes you think about if you made different choices how things could turn out.

The flow of the book was different than I was used to considering you are first introduced to the main character right before and during the plane crash.  The next you are taken to earlier in his life with one of the two girls.  It took me a little bit to adjust, but not long as I got submerged with the story.  The story line did slow when the girls showed up however these stories are important to the ending of the story.

There was one part in particular that was very hard to read.  When it comes to animals I don't care for mistreatment of them, and the description(which Thomas does a great job with) was a bit too much for me.  However I did find it important to the rest of the story line.

The ending didn't give me the closure that I prefer.  The ending did remind me of another story I read a few times in high school, which also involves choices.  As I am attempting to not give too much away and let you find out for yourself, that is all I am going to say.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...